The Cap and Hare Homebrew Club Forums   boil kettle
Left Nav Home Register Forums Calendar Masterbrewer Brew Blogs Galleries Members Breweries FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   The Cap and Hare Homebrew Club Forums The Cap and Hare General Beer Chat

Old 01-11-2017, 11:46 PM
Matt - Party Planner

Awards Showcase
Masterbrewer of the Year 
Total Awards: 1

Default Brew System Upgrades/Enhancements/Needed a Project

In an effort to maximize the productivity of my brew system components, I decided to change from a traditional HERMS (Coil in hot liquor tank with mash wort recirculating though to maintain temp) to a Counter-Flow HERMS/CF-HERMS/C-HERMS...or whatever you want to call it. Basically, a HERMS utilizing a counter-flow chiller with the mash wort passing through the inner tube and the heated water running through the outer tube to maintain/heat the mash.

I chose this because I liked the idea of using my CF-Chiller for a dual purpose...plus, I had the itch to tinker with my system. The switch doesn't take much, just need to utilize both pumps during the mash, reroute my hoses and figure out a way to recirculate the water back to my HLT and the mash wort back to the mash. I didn't want to drill new holes in my kettles to a new port so I repurposed and reworked the mounts I had on my HERMS coil and made these:

Well, that is what I have worked on thus far, more to come.

Last edited by BeerSawks; 01-12-2017 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:04 AM
Mike Treadway

Nice, this is a cool idea. So when you say you're trying to maximize the productivity, are you referring to the time it takes to raise the temp of your mash? Or maintain your mash temp? Or both? I'd like to know more about what problem you're solving.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:50 AM
Matt - Party Planner

Awards Showcase
Masterbrewer of the Year 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
Nice, this is a cool idea. So when you say you're trying to maximize the productivity, are you referring to the time it takes to raise the temp of your mash? Or maintain your mash temp? Or both? I'd like to know more about what problem you're solving.
Mostly, trying to cut down on the time it takes to raise temps. With the coil in the HLT, I would have to raise the HLT water at the same time I wanted to raise the mash temp. With the CF-HERMS I can raise the HLT to the next step temp ahead of time while, at the same time, maintain the same mash temp by adjusting the flow to the CF. Maintaining mash temp is pretty much the same as with the Coil HERMS, although on cold days I can start the HLT at a higher temp to compensate for temp drops, and not have to run the burner as much.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:08 PM
Mike Treadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerSawks View Post
Mostly, trying to cut down on the time it takes to raise temps. With the coil in the HLT, I would have to raise the HLT water at the same time I wanted to raise the mash temp. With the CF-HERMS I can raise the HLT to the next step temp ahead of time while, at the same time, maintain the same mash temp by adjusting the flow to the CF. Maintaining mash temp is pretty much the same as with the Coil HERMS, although on cold days I can start the HLT at a higher temp to compensate for temp drops, and not have to run the burner as much.
I see. We have a HERMS system with our MT wrapped with insulation so we don't have a problem holding temps. We can then heat our HLT to 180F or whatever ahead of time so when it comes time to raise mash temps, we start recirculating.

I'm selfishly trying to see if there's any benefit for me to explore what you're doing and use the idea in our own setup. I'll be watching this thread!
Old 01-12-2017, 12:51 PM
Matt - Party Planner

Awards Showcase
Masterbrewer of the Year 

I did my first run on the CF-HERMS about a week and a half ago. Everything seemed to work great but I didn't make any note on efficiencies or timing, mostly just to make sure all the plumbing and components would work out.

Next time I brew I will do more data logging.

This is the CFC I'm using:

Old 01-12-2017, 12:54 PM
Matt - Party Planner

Awards Showcase
Masterbrewer of the Year 

One of the other adjustments to my process will be to start recirculating my chilling water from my HLT filled water and ice since I now have the recirc tube mount.

Last edited by BeerSawks; 01-12-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:35 PM
Matt - Party Planner

Awards Showcase
Masterbrewer of the Year 

Other improvements I am making to my system include switching over to stainless center inlet pump heads and adding a HopRocket, to use as a grant and hop back.

With the center inlet pump heads and grant, I am hoping to achieve better flow rates during recirculation and sparge, better pump priming and less strain on the mash bed.

I'm also replacing and reconfiguring all of my system tubing due to switching to the CF-HERMS method, adding the grant and new pump heads. Besides, who doesn't love the look of new silicone tubing?
Old 01-16-2017, 02:41 PM
Matt - Party Planner

Awards Showcase
Masterbrewer of the Year 

This is the pump head style I am switching to:

Old 01-23-2017, 03:51 PM
Matt - Party Planner

Awards Showcase
Masterbrewer of the Year 

Ok, so my new center inlet pump heads came in.

The first pic is the center inlet style the bottom is the inline style head that I am replacing.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:54 PM
Matt - Party Planner

Awards Showcase
Masterbrewer of the Year 

Here are the pump head configurations.

Again, the first pic is the center inlet style the bottom is the inline style head that I am replacing.