The Cap and Hare Homebrew Club Forums   boil kettle
Left Nav Home Register Forums Calendar Masterbrewer Brew Blogs Galleries Members Breweries FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Old 01-02-2018, 06:02 PM
Mike - General Secretary

Default Brew Stand Upgrade: Water Plumbing

First off, I don't recommend this build. It was way too expensive. However, putting costs aside it's a nice addition.

Problem
I hate connecting and disconnecting my water hose from the water filter, to the chiller, unhooking again to clean something, etc. I wanted to be able to plug in my water, natural gas, and electricity into the stand and be done with it. I used quick disconnects on the water host for a while but they aren't great and end up leaking. I also found that different QDCs from different stores didn't work together. I also found myself wanting something fun to do on the brew stand.

Solution
Add a WATER IN line to the stand, tee it off so one line goes through the water filter and into the HLT, and the other line to a faucet where I can connect a water hose for washing, etc. I ended up use PEX for everything under the stand and copper for the tubing that goes near a burner. Here are some pics and some design considerations.

This where I plug in the water. I bought a 50 ft drinking safe expandable hose and put a QDC on it. On brew day, I plug the hose in here and open the valve on the hose. Under the stand, the water line is split; one to the filter, the other to the pass through outlet.

Here is the pass through outlet. I have another expandable water hose with a sprayer on the end, and a QDC to hook it up to the stand. This water isn't filtered and is what I use for cleaning, filling buckets, and squirting Sean in the face.

The line that goes to the water filter ends up here (bottom line). I used QDCs here so I could remove the water filter for emptying. I also used PEX so I could easily rotate the line and let the water drain out. You can see the reinforced tubing I used for the filter. There's lot's of water pressure here and this was the only thing that wouldn't burst. The top line is where the filter OUT goes.

Here's the water filter. I have a valve on the inlet side so I can make sure I'm not running the water through the filter too fast. On brew day, I plug the filter into the lines before hooking up the water.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:03 PM
Mike - General Secretary

The outlet of the water filter is fed over to the front corner of the stand where I run copper tubing up to the top of the stand. I need copper here because it's near a burner and didn't want to use PEX.

The tubing travels up the stand, across the burner, and out the front of the stand.

Here's where the filtered water comes out. I made the mistake of drill from the inside without a piece of wood so the outside of the stand chipped away. I was really pissed about that!

From there I put on a 3 way valve that connects to my HLT and the rest of the system. If I turn the handle to the left, water flows into the HLT. If the handle is in the middle, it's pass though (left and right are open) but no water comes out. Turn the handle to the right, water flows into the rest of the system.

I intended to plumb SS tubing straight into the HLT but it got complicated because I had to use standard sizes. I don't have a way to cut and weld SS. I couldn't find a combination of tubing to allow me to hard plumb into the HLT. What I have works fine until you open the valve with the other end closed. Water pressure builds up fast and the silicone tubing pops off and water gets everywhere. At this point in the project I'd spent more than I thought I would and just needed to get it done.

Overall I like what I have. It's easy to fill the HLT and if I need to add cold water to my mash tun that's easy as well. I also like having a separate hose off the stand I can use for cleaning and washing.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:27 AM
Chris - Big Brew Coord.

That is really neat. Great write up of the addition & why you did it.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:47 AM
Matt - Party Planner

Awards Showcase
Masterbrewer of the Year 
Total Awards: 1

Cool Upgrade!!
Old 01-04-2018, 11:05 AM
Mike - General Secretary

Thanks! I'll openly admit it definitely suffers from over engineering. There are much cheaper and simpler ways to solve the problem but what the hell, it was a fun little project and it is nice to have my water source arranged this way.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:30 PM
Matt - Party Planner

Awards Showcase
Masterbrewer of the Year 
Total Awards: 1

I have a tendency to over-engineer/think a project then spend the next couple months trying to simplify it.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:11 PM
Matt Wilson

Nice work - on both the stand and the write-up!