The Cap and Hare Homebrew Club Forums   bottlecaps
Left Nav Home Register Forums Calendar Masterbrewer Brew Blogs Galleries Members Breweries FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Old 10-11-2017, 11:30 AM
Brandon General Secretary

Default Officer Elections 2018

The end of the year is fast approaching, and that means it is time again to start talking about electing officers for the upcoming year. The club has seen many changes in membership and participation this year. We have a large number of new members, which is great, and we would really like to get some new blood and new perspective into the ranks of our club officers. I’d like to take a minute to explain the responsibilities and benefits of being an officer, and then open the thread for questions, volunteers, and nominations.

Why be an officer? – I have been a member of the Cap and Hare for about seven years, and been an officer for the last two. I can honestly say that I have made some of the best friends of my life in the club, as limited as my participation has been at times. Becoming an officer not only let me give back to a club that has really enriched my life, it has also made me enjoy it even more. It does not take as much time as it may seem, and we all work as a team, so someone can always help when life gets in the way of the club.
Also, starting next year, there will be some new perks for officers to recognize their hard work and make them more easily identifiable at events. We will be making custom work shirts for officers to wear at events, and possibly some custom drinking vessels as well. Also, your service as an officer comes with a free annual couples membership – a $40 value. You also get to have input on club events, policies, and content as an officer.

How much time will it take? – Different positions have different demands, and some have more time demand at different times of the year. I can tell you this: I run my own business, travel a three-state sales territory as well as several trade shows and sales meetings nationwide throughout the year, and I have kids, so my time can be extremely limited. I have been able to fit officer duties into my schedule, and when I am unavailable for something, there is always a club member or officer to step in and help. If you are interested in a position but not sure it will fit into your schedule, we have several people you can talk to in order to get an idea how much time it will take. Chances are, it is not as much as you think.
Here are the positions that we are looking to fill for 2018:

President
– Plans the meetings, coordinates officer meetings, plans the Christmas party, etc
Vice President – Helps the President and fills in at meetings when the President is not available
Event Coordinator – Coordinates happy hours, brewery tours, pub crawls, etc
Masterbrewer Coordinator – Runs the monthly Masterbrewer competition
Big Brew Coordinator – Schedules, plans and coordinates big brews
Treasurer – Handles the money
Secretary – Handles membership

We would really like to see some new members, or members who have not been officers before consider the positions of Masterbrewer Coordinator, Event Coordinator, and Big Brew Coordinator. These are positions that can easily be taken on by someone who is new or has had limited participation in the past. They are fun positions that have a lot of member interaction and great events associated with them. If you have any interest at all in being part of these positions, please contact me or another officer to talk about it. There has been discussion in the past of having more than one person handle these positions, and we are open to any ideas you might have.

We will be voting at the next meeting, so please give this some consideration and get involved. This club is very important to many of us, and we need members to get involved to keep it running and alive, so volunteer, nominate a friend, nominate an enemy, or just make a suggestion. Either way, speak up, get involved, and let’s set ourselves up for a great year in 2018. The Cap and Hare makes brewing better, brewing makes beer better, and beer makes life better. Become an officer and make your life better!
Keg 4Oak Aged Quad
Keg 5:Bock with Rose Hips
Fermenting:Strong Bitter, Tallow Mead

"As cliche as it may sound
I'd like to raise another round
And if your bottle's empty
Help yourself to mine
Thank you for your time
And here's to life"
Old 10-11-2017, 12:23 PM
Brian Schoolcraft

Being an officer is fun. It's your chance to steer the direction of the club. Have ideas on what you'd like to see as meeting topics, events, etc? Join in and you'll have a chance to make it happen.