The Cap and Hare Homebrew Club Forums   boil kettle
Left Nav Home Register Forums Calendar Masterbrewer Brew Blogs Galleries Members Breweries FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Go Back   The Cap and Hare Homebrew Club Forums The Cap and Hare General Beer Chat

Old 04-17-2017, 01:36 PM
Mark McCurdy

yes, for my research heard that slow to boil. However, thought the App was a great addition. What od you not like about the App?
Old 04-17-2017, 05:07 PM
Allen Koch

The app is good about calculating strike & sparge water but can't replace beer smith when building a recipe. Also it does this thing when the fermentation is finished where it goes off continually to the point of running down my iPad if I'm not home. It will let you enter OG and FG which is good when looking back on a recipe. Overall I would recommend the grainfather but every system has a learning curve. I would recommend brewing 2X the first time you get it just so you get a feel for the machine.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:58 AM
Shawn Mason

Awards Showcase
Masterbrewer of the Year 
Total Awards: 1

One additional note on the time to boil. It all depends on the wiring and if you are using an extension cord.
I was able to do a complete brew with a 90 minute mash in 3.5 hours (granted my strike water was preheated when I started).
My home has 20 amp breakers and I do not use an extension cord. However, I have had a boil over in the past even using an extension cord.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Mark McCurdy

thanks. noteworthy comment