The Cap and Hare Homebrew Club Forums   beers
Left Nav Home Register Forums Calendar Masterbrewer Brew Blogs Galleries Members Breweries FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Right Nav

Left Container Right Container

Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 AM
Craig Gilbreath

Default 33 gallons of fermentation space!

UPDATE:
Updates start HERE with the Thermowell build.

Continued HERE with the installation and Heating system.

CO2 Pressure-Racking assembly

Installation and testing of CO2 Racking system.

Future reserved update of control panel build for Fermentation temp control.

Original Post:

Today I went to Stubby's and picked up (3) 15 gallon malt drums he had been saving for me. I was not sure if all 3 would fit in my chest ferm chamber because I had laid them out with cardboard last week and it looked like they would over lap and be too tight with three drums in there. Well... to my surprise, they all fit in there with no shoving. I plan to pump directly into the sanitized fermentor from my chiller so I will NOT be lifting these drums over the top of the chest. Likewise, I plan to push the beer out with CO2 when racking to kegs. I need to pick up a bung wrench to remove the large bung plugs.

The way I figure it, if I brew 10.5 to 11 gallon batches, I can ferment all in one container. I will have to run blow-off tubes all the time because I don't have head space above the tops of the containers.

Last edited by Huaco; 01-14-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Captainsbrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
Today I went to Stubby's and picked up (3) 15 gallon malt drums he had been saving for me. I was not sure if all 3 would fit in my chest ferm chamber because I had laid them out with cardboard last week and it looked like they would over lap and be too tight with three drums in there. Well... to my surprise, they all fit in there with no shoving. I plan to pump directly into the sanitized fermentor from my chiller so I will NOT be lifting these drums over the top of the chest. Likewise, I plan to push the beer out with CO2 when racking to kegs. I need to pick up a bung wrench to remove the large bung plugs.

The way I figure it, if I brew 10.5 to 11 gallon batches, I can ferment all in one container. I will have to run blow-off tubes all the time because I don't have head space above the tops of the containers.

Nice! Get to brewing!
Old 12-07-2012, 07:18 AM
Michael (& Chris) Lampley

Nice!
Old 12-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Heath Scrogum

That's awesome man!
Keg 1:
keg 2:Orange American Wheat
Keg 3: Irish Red
Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 PM
Craig Gilbreath

Anybody know how to attach a ball lock gas fitting to something like this? Looking at adding one to each of the larger bung caps to push the fermented beer out of the plastic carboy and into a corny.
I am also trying to figure out how to get a gas-tight fit on a racking cane through the small bung to carry the beer out and over the top of the chest freezer to an awaiting corny.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:49 PM
James Lallande

Awards Showcase
Masterbrewer of the Year 
Total Awards: 1

get a drilled stopper for the small hole which will be used for your airlock and racking cane. then drill a hole in the big side or a bigger stopper and use some copper fittings from home depot with the outside having a hose barb. like this http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
it will take a little engineering to put it together,
Old 12-10-2012, 06:01 PM
Craig Gilbreath

Looking to build something a bit more robust than stoppers. Thought of this just now and sketched it out... Should be able to push CO2 in through the Ball Lock Gas post and push beer out through the racking cane -- All while using just the small bung.
Now, I will see if I can source all the parts. Stainless for parts that touch beer. Brass for the rest.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:32 PM
stan

I'd like to make 1 small recommendation: if at any time, you will have these closed off and building pressure (ie pushing liquid w/ co2), install an emergency relief valve that will release pressure before the tank blows itself...just in case...
Old 12-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Jeff Brimager

craig, i got this free resizing program I will send you a link. can run it against your entire dropbox folder....
Old 12-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Craig Gilbreath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1el View Post
craig, i got this free resizing program I will send you a link. can run it against your entire dropbox folder....
thanks!
however, I left this 1 full size intentionally because it was a sketch. but I will definitely run the Resizer on my folder.